30 Things Adoptees Wish They Knew About Their Birth parents-But Often Are Afraid To Ask….
from Adoptive Families Magazine
1. What are my Birth parents’ first and middle names?
2. Where was I born?
3. What time was I born?
4. Were there any complications at the time of my birth?
5. Did my birth mother see me or hold me?
6. Who was present at my birth?
7. What were the circumstances surrounding my placement?
8. Did my birth mother pick my adoptive family?
9. Did my birth mother know anything about my adoptive family? Did she meet my adoptive parents?
10. What did my birth mother name me?
11. Does anyone else in my birth family know about me? Who knows what?
12. How old were my birth parents when I was born?
13. Were my Birth parents married when I was born?
14. Where did my Birth parents go to high school? College?
15. What kind of students were they?
16. What religious backgrounds did my Birth parents have?
18. Did my Birth parents marry each other or anyone else after I was born? Do I have any biological siblings?Do they know about me?
19. Did I go to a foster home after leaving the hospital?
20. What was my foster family’s name? How long was I there?
21. What do my Birth parents look like? May I have a picture of them?
22. Are my Birth parents still alive?
23. Do my Birth parents love me?
24. Do my Birth parents think about me? Did they ever regret their decision?
25. Do my birth parents have any special talents, hobbies or interests?
26. What traits did I inherit from my Birth parents? Personality? Looks? Talent?
27. Did my Birth parents write to me over the years? (Journal/letters in a file?)
28. Are there any medical concerns I should know about?
29. If I called my birth parents or wanted to meet them someday, what would they do?
30. What should I call my Birth parents?